PORTER COUNTY | Communities across America celebrate Independence Day each year with fireworks, barbecues and get-togethers. And while such activities are summer favorites, citizens can add another tradition to the mix by coming to donate blood through the American Red Cross with family and friends.
“Your blood donation is a sign of independence in its purest sense,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region of the American Red Cross. “When you think of it, you’re giving of yourself so someone sick or injured may have the ability to be with people they love.”
A blood donation around Independence Day can also help strengthen America’s blood supply. Blood donations typically slump during the summer when many donors are out of their day-to-day routines, and when student donors are on break. High school and college-age donors give up to 20 percent of the blood collected through the Red Cross.
Come to donate July 1 - July 15 for a chance to win one of five $3,000 American Express gift cards.
Area blood drives:
• Noon to 6 p.m. July 1 at Immanuel Lutheran Church in the Fellowship Lobby, 1700 N. Monticello Drive, Valparaiso. All who come to donate blood will receive an American Red Cross baseball hat, while supplies last.
• 2 to 8 p.m. July 2 at Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness in the Fitness Center, 810 Michael Drive. Chesterton. All who come to donate blood will receive an American Red Cross baseball hat, while supplies last.
• 1 to 4 p.m. July 6 at Harbor SuperStores, 6100 U.S. 6, Portage. All who come to donate blood will receive an American Red Cross baseball hat, while supplies last.
• 8:30 to 11 a.m. July 6 at Walmart, 6087 U.S. 6, Portage. All who come to donate blood will receive an American Red Cross baseball hat, while supplies last.
• 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. July 7 at the First Presbyterian Church in the gymnasium, 3401 N. Valparaiso St., Valparaiso.
• 1 to 7 p.m. July 8 at St. Teresa of Avila in the Catholic Student Center, 1604 Lincolnway, Valparaiso.
• 2 to 7 p.m. July 11 at Hopewell Mennonite Church in the Meeting Hall, 805 N. Main St., Kouts.
• 10:30 a.m. to noon July 12 at City Hall Valparaiso, 166 Lincolnway , Valparaiso.
• 3 to 6 p.m. July 12 at Portage Avenue Baptist Church, 6605 Portage Ave., Portage.
• 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. July 13 at Harley-Davidson, 1151 U.S. Highway 30, Valparaiso.
To schedule an appointment to donate please call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org for more information.