Clock to add timely, timeless beauty to Valpo

2013-01-01T00:00:00Z Clock to add timely, timeless beauty to ValpoPhil Wieland, (219) 548-4352
January 01, 2013 12:00 am  • 

VALPARAISO | By the time the Popcorn Festival fires up its annual tribute to Orville Redenbacher's favorite food, travelers on the ChicaGo Dash should know when the buses come and go.

The city's Board of Public Works and Safety approved an agreement Thursday with the Northwestern Indiana Regional Planning Commission to provide the city with a federal grant to buy a decorative clock to be placed on one of the two sculpture pads on Campbell Street and Lincolnway near the Dash station.

The grant will provide 80 percent of the price of a clock costing up to $25,000 with the city's Redevelopment Commission paying the other 20 percent, as much as $5,000. The grant is from the Federal Transit Administration's Transportation Enhancement Landscaping, Art and Transit Connections program.

The funds have to be used in a transit oriented district, like the area surrounding the Dash station. The redevelopment commission's Art Advisory Committee decided in December a decorative clock would be a good use for the grant money, and the committee is expected to make a recommendation on which clock to buy in February.

The commission's Executive Director Stuart Summers said the group will look at styles ranging up to $50,000. They come in two-faced or four-faced models with antique or contemporary designs. Once the clock is chosen, they have to prepare specifications in order to get quotes from companies.

The final choice has to be approved by NIRPC, and Summers said he hopes the clock can be make a timely debut in early September, around Popcorn Festival time. The city is deciding whether to seek another grant in the next round of federal funding to get a clock for the east side of the city.

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

About Valparaiso

City of Valparaiso
166 Lincolnway Valparaiso, IN 46383
(219) 462-1161

Police Department
355 S. Washington St. Valparaiso, IN 46383
(219) 462-2135

Fire Department
2605 Cumberland Drive Valparaiso, IN 46383
(219) 462-8325

Parks & Recreation
3210 North Campbell Street Valparaiso, IN 46385
(219) 462-5144

Valparaiso Community Schools
3801 N. Campbell St. Valparaiso, IN 46385
(219) 531-3000