VALPARAISO | The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program at United Way of Porter County, still has openings through April 11 for free tax preparation for those eligible.
Volunteers, who have taken the IRS-sponsored tax preparation courses, have been certified to complete taxes for different levels of complexity. The certifications are within scope of the training for many of the forms. However, there are some limitations out of scope that cannot be done, such as rental property and self-employment income of $5,000 or more.
Qualifications for the free tax preparation include an adjusted gross income of $51,000 or less and include to low- to moderate-income taxpayers and the elderly.
Tax preparations are by appointment only and can be scheduled by calling (219) 464-3583 and asking for George Kuebler at Extension 128.
Remaining scheduling is being done during the following days:
Mondays: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Tuesdays: 2 to 6 p.m. (closed April 9)
Thursdays: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Saturdays: 8 a.m. to noon, March 23 and April 6 only
For those who qualify for free tax preparation, the following is a list of items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared for free:
• Identification – Picture ID
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration, or
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents.
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN.
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return.
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers.
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099).
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns, if available.
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check.
• Total amount paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate.
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
• For Indiana state income tax, homeowners must bring property tax information and renters must supply landlord name and address along with amount of rent paid for the year, in order to qualify for appropriate deductions.