The holidays bring families and friends together to share in celebrations and special times of giving. But for families dealing with a cancer diagnosis or other major illness, the holidays can be difficult.
The American Red Cross’ Give Something that Means Something campaign runs through Jan. 6 and encourages eligible donors to donate blood or platelets for hospital patients in need.
Blood donors are encouraged to invite a loved one to follow in their footsteps and donate blood this holiday season. To schedule an appointment to donate, call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org for more information.
Upcoming blood donation opportunities include:
• 11:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday at the YMCA of Portage, 3100 Willowcreek Road, Portage. Donors will receive an American Red Cross T-shirt, while supplies last.
• 12:30 to 6 p.m. Dec. 2 in the Social Hall at Eagles Lodge, 805 Elm St., Valparaiso.
• 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 4 at Ivy Tech Community College, 3100 Ivy Tech Drive, Valparaiso.
• 9:30 a.m. to noon Dec. 5, 600 Vale Park Road, Valparaiso.
• 2 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 5 at Porter Starke Services, 701 Wall St., Valparaiso.
• 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Dec. 7 in the gym at Washington Evangelical Free Church, 3805 LaPorte Ave., Valparaiso.
• 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 8 i the gym at St. Patrick Catholic Church, 638 N. Calumet Road, Chesterton.
• 2 to 7 p.m. Dec. 11 in the Fellowship Hall at First Christian Church, 1507 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso.
• Noon to 6 p.m. Dec. 12 in the meeting room at New Life Wesleyan Church, 75 E. County Road 1100 North, Chesterton.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Dec. 13 in the gym at Northview Elementary School, 257 Northview Drive, Valparaiso. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Dec. 13 at Portage Christian School, 3040 Arlene St., Portage. This is a Pint Size Heroes blood drive.
• 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Dec. 15 in the Fellowship Hall at at Nativity of our Savior, 2949 Willowcreek Road, Portage.