By donating blood this Thanksgiving, people will help ensure that blood is available for patients in need, and honor the spirit of giving that surrounds the start of the holiday season.
“When you donate blood this time of year, you can take pride in knowing someone is extremely thankful for your act of giving,” said Sharyn Whitman, CEO for the American Red Cross Indiana-Ohio Blood Services Region. “Because of you, someone’s mother, father, child or friend may have a chance to spend another holiday with people they love.”
While all blood types are needed, the demand for type O blood is great since type O can be transfused to patients with other blood types like A, B and AB. While type O positive can be transfused to patients with any positive blood type, type O negative can be transfused to anyone with any blood type, making it the type most needed in emergencies when a patient’s blood type isn’t known.
Upcoming blood drives include:
• 2 to 8 p.m. Tuesday at Franciscan Omni Health & Fitness in the fitness Center, 810 Michael Drive, Chesterton.
• 9:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Boys & Girls Club of Porter County in the Small Gymnasium, located at 723 Long Run Road, Valparaiso.
• 3 to 7 p.m. Oct. 27 at Real Life Community Church, located at 3134 Swanson Road, Portage.
• 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Oct. 27 at the United Methodist Church in Terry Rhine Hall, 434 S. Second St., Chesterton.
• 2:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 28 at Chicago Street Theatre, 154 W. Chicago St., Valparaiso.
• 11:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. Oct. 29 at Washington Township Elementary School in the gymnasium, located at 383 E. Ind. 2, Valparaiso.
• 2 to 6 p.m. Oct. 30 at the YMCA, 1201 Cumberland Crossing Drive, Valparaiso.
• 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 30 at Bailly Elementary School in the gymnasium, 800 S. Fifth St., Chesterton.
• 2 to 7 p.m. Oct. 31 at Hopewell Mennonite Church in the Meeting Hall, 805 N. Main St., Kouts.
• noon to 6 p.m. Nov. 4 at Calvary Church in The Well, 1325 E. Evans, Valparaiso.
• 1 to 7 p.m. Nov. 11 at St. Teresa of Avila in the Catholic Student Center, 1604 Lincolnway, Valparaiso.
• Noon to 6 p.m. Nov. 11 at Valparaiso University in Harre Union Ballrooms B & C, 1509 Chapel Drive, Valparaiso. Come to donate and receive a coupon for one free taco courtesy of Taco Bell.
• 2 to 6:30 p.m. Nov. 12 at the United Methodist Church in the Fellowship Hall, 202 W. Church St., Hebron.
• 3:30 to 7:30 p.m. Nov. 12 at John Simatovich Elementary School in the gymnasium, 424 W. County Road 500 North, Valparaiso.
• 4 to 8 p.m. Nov. 13 at Heritage Lutheran Church in the Fellowship Hall, 308 Washington St., Valparaiso.
To schedule an appointment to donate, call (800) 733-2767 or visit redcrossblood.org for more information.