VALPARAISO | The United Way of Porter County, for the fourth year, is offering free income tax preparation, both state and federal for the 2013 tax year. Free tax preparation, for those who qualify, will begin Monday, Feb. 3, 2014 and run to Thursday, April 10, 2014.
The free tax preparation service, by local trained and certified volunteers, is done under the auspice of the Internal Revenue Service and is called VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance.
Qualifications for the free tax preparation include: an adjusted gross income of $52,000 or less and includes low to moderate income tax payers and the elderly. Tax preparations are by appointment only and can be scheduled by calling (219) 464-3583 x128 and asking for George Kuebler.
Appointment request inquiries also can be made via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your name, telephone number and preferred times for a return call to confirm an appointment. Appointments will only be confirmed by a return call.
Scheduling is being done during the following days:
Mondays: 9 am to 3 pm
Tuesdays: 2 pm to 6 pm (Closed Feb. 11, April 8)
Thursdays: 9 am to 3 pm
Saturdays: 8 am to noon (Feb. 22, March 8, 22 and April 5 ONLY)
For those who qualify for free tax preparation, the following is a list of items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared for free:
• Proof of identification – Picture ID (Driver’s license or other ID with a picture)
• Social Security Cards for you, your spouse (Medicare cards are acceptable for those 65 years of age and older) and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
• Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
• Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security Number or the provider's business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
• For Indiana State Income tax, home owners bring property tax information and renters supply landlord name and address along with amount of rent paid for the year in order to qualify for appropriate deductions.
• It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. The most accurate information is usually located on your original Social Security card. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.
• If you or your dependent is not eligible to get a Social Security Number, you may need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).