VALPARAISO | United Way of Porter County is offering free income tax preparation, both state and federal for the 2013 tax year. Free tax preparation, for those who qualify, will begin Feb. 3 and run through April 10.
The free tax preparation service, by local trained and certified volunteers, is done under the auspice of the Internal Revenue Service and is called VITA – Volunteer Income Tax Assistance.
Qualifications for the free tax preparation include: an adjusted gross income of $52,000 or less which includes low to moderate income tax payers and the elderly. Tax preparations are by appointment only and can be scheduled by calling (219) 464-3583, ext. 128, and asking for George Kuebler.
Appointment request inquiries also can be made via email to: email@example.com. Please include your name, telephone number and preferred times for a return call to confirm an appointment. Appointments will only be confirmed by a return call.
Scheduling is being done during the following days: 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays; 2 to 6 p.m. Tuesdays; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Thursdays and Saturdays 8 a.m. to noon only on Feb. 22, March 8, 22 and April 5.
For those who qualify for free tax preparation, the following is a list of items to bring to the VITA site to have your tax return prepared for free:
• Proof of identification — Picture ID (driver’s license or other ID with a picture)
• Social Security cards for you, your spouse (Medicare cards are acceptable for those 65 years of age and older) and dependents or a Social Security number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or
• Individual taxpayer identification number assignment letter for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents
• Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
• Birth dates for the taxpayer, spouse and dependents on the tax return
• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, 1099-Misc from all employers
• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099)
• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check
• Total paid for day care provider and the day care provider's tax identifying number (the provider's Social Security number or the provider's business employer identification number) if appropriate
• To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.
• For Indiana state income tax, homeowners bring property tax information and renters supply landlord name and address along with amount of rent paid for the year to qualify for appropriate deductions.