VALPARAISO | The first warm weather of summer prompted the city to announce sites that will serve as cooling centers when the heat index tops 100 degrees for consecutive days.
The centers will be located at:
- Valparaiso University at both the Harre Union, 1509 Chapel Dr., and the Christopher Center Library, 1410 Chapel Dr., from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays. For information, call (219) 464-5000.
- Valparaiso YMCA, 1202 Cumberland Crossing Dr., from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m. weekdays, from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and 12:30 to 6 p.m. on Sundays. For information, call (219) 462-4185.
- The Valparaiso Branch of the Porter County Public Library, 103 Jefferson St., from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays, from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Fridays and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturdays. For information, call (219) 462-0524.
- The Vale Park Enrichment Center at Banta, 605 Beech St., from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays. For information, call (219) 462-1301.
- St. Teresa of Avila Catholic Church, 1511 LaPorte Ave., from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. every day.
The Contact Assistance Referral Program (CARE), in which police will check on residents during harsh weather, also is available. To register yourself or a loved one for the program, contact Sgt. Michael Grennes at (219) 462-2135 or firstname.lastname@example.org.