Woman hurt in fire at M'ville condo; microwave the cause

2013-02-13T21:15:00Z Woman hurt in fire at M'ville condo; microwave the causeTimes Staff nwitimes.com
February 13, 2013 9:15 pm  • 

MERRILLVILLE | A woman was taken to a hospital Wednesday and displaced after a microwave ignited a fire in her Merrillville condo. 

The fire started at 4:45 p.m. in the 2000 block of West 75th Place because of wiring failure in the microwave, said Phil Topor, fire marshal with the Merrillville Fire Department.

The fire was put out in about 10 minutes, and it caused $5,000 in damage to the three-story condo building, Topor said.

The woman was taken to Methodist Hospitals Southlake Campus in Merrillville for evaluation.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Poll

Loading…

Do you blame railroads for blocking the Gary/Chicago International Airport expansion?

View Results