President Obama recently referred to "phony scandals" that Republicans continue to push in order to distract the American public.
Really, Mr. President. The truth is that the phoniest thing in Washington is not any of the deplorable scandals that won't go away. It is the affected actions of the chief executive himself.
Let's take a look at Obama's history of hypocrisy:
• Prior to his first term, Obama called President Bush "unpatriotic" for the $4 trillion in debt that the country incurred during his eight years in office. Obama, however, has stuck us with $5 trillion in just four years with no relief in sight for his second term.
• Then-Sen. Obama lambasted Bush as reckless and lacking leadership for increasing the debt ceiling. Since he has become president, Obama routinely pushes debt ceiling increases every six months or so, edging us ever closer to financial disaster.
• During the Bush administration, Obama said that the Patriot Act, which monitored suspected terrorists' overseas phone calls, needed to be "dialed back." Once in office, Obama not only extended Bush's Patriot Act, his National Security Agency records and stores phone calls and emails from U.S. residents.
• Obama was a vocal critic of President Bush on his military surge in Iraq that eventually proved to be successful. During his first term, Obama implemented a surge of his own in Afghanistan, resulting in far less success.
• As a candidate in 2008, Barack Obama promised that if elected, he would not issue executive orders or signings that would circumvent Congress. As president, Obama has used the tactic at least 20 times and has appointed numerous unelected "czars" that routinely by-pass the legislative process.
• Candidate Obama also promised change, which would make his administration the most transparent in U.S. history. This leads us back to his "phony scandals" statement.
The president's total lack of transparency is the reason why his scandals won't go away.
His stonewalling and claims of executive privilege have stalled the investigation into the "fast and furious" gun selling sting. That botched operation ended in the death of a border agent and hundreds of Mexican citizens.
The administration continues to drag its feet in giving answers in the investigation of the Benghazi attack that left four Americans dead. We still don't know who gave the order to stand down and not attempt a rescue. Witnesses are not allowed to testify, and we don't even know where the president was during the attack.
In the IRS scandal, the official in charge of targeting conservative organizations pleaded the fifth and refuses to testify. The Obama regime was less than forthcoming in the monitoring of Fox News reporter James Rosen and the above mentioned NSA domestic spying debacle.
No, Mr. President, it is not the Republicans that are sabotaging your efforts. It is your own disingenuous behavior in addressing issues and confronting scandals that is dragging you and your agenda down.