YOUNG VOICES: Help youths cope with parents' divorce

2013-02-04T00:00:00Z YOUNG VOICES: Help youths cope with parents' divorceBy Kevin Surney
February 04, 2013 12:00 am  • 

Divorce can have a negative impact on children, teenagers, and young adults. Being a product of divorce, I was able to experience the many degrees of separation between my parents. They divorced two months before my graduation, and the weight of not having both parents in the home made me feel isolated and confused.

I felt as if they were selfish for not working through their problems. Besides, marriage is a union that requires patience and must be replenished from time to time to remain healthy or it can deteriorate.

There are many ways to support the youth during a divorce.

One way would be to look into therapy assistance to help the youth cope with the divorce itself. Divorce can be devastating to the youth as it destroys their comfort zone. In my case, dealing with the divorce of my parents, I wish I had therapy sessions to help me clear my head of the numerous questions I had about why my parents divorced.

Also, parents shouldn't change the way they've been parenting the child. This could cause an inconsistency with the familiarity that they’re accustomed to, thus making the situation similar to a free-for-all.

Another way to support the youth during divorce is to not degrade the other parent in conversation. Not talking badly about the other parent shows a level of respect towards the child and parent.

The biggest and most successful way to support the youth through divorce is to put an extra effort into keeping things comfortable for them. The more comfortable the environment is, the better they have a chance to deal with the situation positively.

To all children, teenagers, and young adults experiencing the negativity of divorce remember that your life is important. Take the steps necessary to ensure you will respond to these situations respectfully and positively, so you can continue to move forward in your life.

Kevin Surney of Merrillville is a junior at Indiana University Northwest. The opinions are the writer's.

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Lake County assessor?

View Results