Eugene M. Guernsey

2011-05-01T00:00:00Z 2011-05-01T01:00:11Z Eugene M. Guernsey nwitimes.com
May 01, 2011 12:00 am

Eugene M Guernsey

Merrillville

Democrat

Office sought: Merrillville clerk-treasurer

Political experience: Four years as clerk-treasurer; reduced deficit; extended office hours; implemented passport acceptance with free pictures to Merrillville residents; created Seniors Help program along with scheduling AARP tax preparation appointments.

What prompted your decision to seek this office?: I'm a retired Merrillville Police Officer and have lived in Merrillville for more than 40 years and really care for this community. I truly believe I can make the tough decisions to reduce the deficit by working with the Town Council.

Top three goals:

1. Help to bring more business to help reduce the homeowner's property tax. I personally visited the two new businesses, Amish Marketplace in Shipshewana and Modern Drop Forge in Blue Island.

2. Work closer with surrounding communities to try and find some large cost-cutting venues to purchase petroleum, salt and insurance.

3. Promote more senior programs. I'm looking to start up a help program for our servicemen who need assistance.

Why should voters choose you?: I have been the clerk-treasurer for the past four years, and I'm running on my accomplishments. I'm an owner and operator of Genos Storage, a Navy veteran, a retired Merrillville police officer and served as a police training officer in Iraq and Kosovo.

What specific steps will you take to help your community cope with declining tax revenues?: Budget reduction through attrition. Initiate new funds through programs such as passport services. Reduce spending where needed.

What else would you like to tell us?: Endorsed by the Northwestern Indiana Building and Construction Trades Council. 

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"

Questions?

Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357

Poll

Loading…

Which is the best high school football rivalry?

View Results