Keith Soderquist

2011-05-01T00:00:00Z 2011-05-01T01:28:21Z Keith Soderquist nwitimes.com
May 01, 2011 12:00 am

Keith Soderquist

Lake Station

Democrat

Office sought: Lake Station Mayor

Political experience: Eight years as city councilman at-large; mayor for the past 3.5 years. I attended Purdue University Calumet, where I received a degree in business. Work experience: Regional service manager, then promoted to national service manager.

What prompted your decision to seek this office?: I grew up in Lake Station, and I have many good memories. We have lost that quality. I wanted to get Lake Station back on track on being a community where citizens are proud of where they live. Improving quality of life for all residents.

Top three goals:

1. Improving quality of life for all Lake Station residents by raising the level of expectations from all city workers to each and every resident. Like the new Field of Dreams and Grand Boulevard Lake project, giving back to the community.

2. Continue to improve city services in every department. City services are the backbone of a community, from leaf pick up to drug enforcement. Supporting our employees with continued training -- getting the training needed to improve city services.

3. Improving our infrastructure. Sanitary sewers, storm sewers, sidewalks, street resurface program. I have a pro-active approach with maintaining our infrastructure. I will continue to go after grants addressing our needs.

Why should voters choose you?: Lifelong resident, I am a product of Lake Station. I have a passion for serving people. I truly care if water sits in the street after a rain. I care if the rental next door is not cutting the grass. I care about the senior on a limited income.

What specific steps will you take to help your community cope with declining tax revenues?: I have been dealing with declining tax revenues for the past three years. We have overcome the shortfall by cutting the budget each and every year as well as come up with better ways to save money, from electric cars to a new refuse pick up program.

What else would you like to tell us?: Lake Station has great potential. We are becoming a very cute and attractive community for new business and new residents. It has been a pleasure serving as mayor. I ask for your support for four more years of continued success.

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"

Questions?

Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357

Poll

Loading…

Do you agree with The Times Editorial Board's endorsements in legislative races?

View Results