All this, and you expect us to trust Lake officials?

2013-04-25T00:00:00Z All this, and you expect us to trust Lake officials?
April 25, 2013 12:00 am

The Lake County Council wants to enact an income tax on every working resident to give us property tax relief. And even more outlandish than that, the politicians in north Lake County are pushing the new tax the hardest, even though their residents will receive the least property tax relief.

Perhaps our county government’s shortfall of cash can be attributed to the many lawsuits against inept and thieving government officials. Try looking up the $7 million lawsuit against the Lake County Jail handlers or the amount of money wasted by the Lake County Solid Waste Management District over the past 20 years.

Follow up by researching the more than 60 Lake County politicians (all Democrats, by the way) who have been accused, convicted, or sent to prison for misuse of public funds. Trusting Lake County officials with our money is like hiring Lindsay Lohan to be a probation officer.

- Dan Blankenship, Lowell

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should struggling small school districts merge with their neighbors?

View Results