Thanks to The Times for reporting on the South Shore Railroad status.
Would the experts who feel we need this transportation expansion please consider:
- Adding more trains will cause a rail line choke point at the state line.
- Can't private funds do this, like proposed at the Gary airport and the Illiana Expressway?
- Valparaiso already has an operating bus system that works well. Copy and expand on it.
- Buses too have the route congestion factor, but can be bought and running 50 times cheaper than building a railroad addition.
- Consider using green CNG powered buses.
- Both the railroad and buses should have terminals at the Gary airport.
- Whichever transportation solution, please don't forget to include car parking lots for your passengers. (and a budget that includes this in the bottom line).
- Finally, neither Valpo extension options will significantly increase total paying ridership.
- Jim Petro, Gary