Good for Mitch Daniels! His gutsy email was right on. Here’s why:
- Howard Zinn’s writing encourages readers to hate America rather than love their country.
- Zinn’s motives are suspect. In 1998, he said his goal was to move the U.S. toward “democratic socialism by a quiet revolution." He also has described himself as a Marxist and an anarchist.
- Zinn denies he was ever a member of the Communist Party, but files released in 2010 by the FBI contained 423 pages of activities giving aid and comfort to our enemies in the Cold War and Vietnam.
- Because of questionable scholarship, his students might not become knowledgeable citizens.
David Detmer’s philosophy students at Purdue University Calumet should also read “Animal Farm” and “1984” by George Orwell, “The Road to Serfdom” by F.A. Hayek, works by Thomas Sowell and “Freedom and Capitalism” by Milton Friedman.
If they don’t, Detmer is a propagandist, not a professor.
- Martin Henrichs, Valparaiso