Expand Medicaid, ignore your political ideology

2014-03-27T00:00:00Z Expand Medicaid, ignore your political ideology nwitimes.com
March 27, 2014 12:00 am

Healthcare for all — in the land of the free and home of the brave — need not be used as a political tool.

Real men, women and children are affected (sometimes with terminal consequences) when they cannot get the help they so desperately need.

It's almost unthinkable that in the USA, in 2014, people go without the basic right of health care.

If your own relatives were not covered and were suffering, would you then stop at only political posturing?

We urge the representatives of our state of Indiana to expand Medicaid under the Affordable Care Act because it is the right thing to do.

If only momentarily, we ask you to set aside your politics and consider what is at stake: people's lives.

People who cannot speak for themselves rely on people like us to speak for them so they, too, are treated as equals.

So much hangs in the balance of mankind's good nature. We only need a few steps forward. Will you join us?

- Garrett T. Blahunka, Whiting

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should Lake County ask the attorney general's office to mediate in the E-911 consolidation dispute?

View Results