Here are a few points Dan Hallowell ("Obama inherited fiscal trouble from previous GOP politicians," Jan. 1) might have missed.
President Barack Obama has a revenue collection problem because
- Only half of Americans pay federal income taxes.
- His economic policies have discouraged businesses from expanding.
- His ban on oil drilling and pipelines has cost this country good union jobs.
Furthermore, Democrats controlled Congress starting in 2007 (two years before George W. Bush left office).
Obama has created $5 trillion in debt in four years to Bush's $5.7 trillion in eight years.
Obama's stimulus package:
- Solyndra took $535 million then went bankrupt.
- Al Gore took several million and invested in a Scandinavian company.
- GM is looking to invest $9 million in China and $1 million in Russia, good use of taxpayers' money to create jobs.
The Electoral College distorts results:
- 49 percent of voters voted against Obama and his policies.
- Only 26 states were won by him.
- David Bashore, Valparaiso