Having a baby in States doesn't give parents rights

2013-12-22T00:00:00Z Having a baby in States doesn't give parents rights nwitimes.com
December 22, 2013 12:00 am

More than 4 million children born in the United States are born to people living here illegally. Amendment 14 of the U.S. Constitution provides citizenship to anyone born in the United States.

Having a baby in the United States doesn't entitle illegal immigrants the right to remain here. Immigration laws require all illegal immigrants to be deported. The parents, as the legal guardian, can be deported with their child.

As an adult, that child can return to the United States a citizen. Schools, hospitals, and other government agencies know who these illegal immigrants are, and should by law report all illegal immigrants for deportation.

Until there is a constitutional amendment, Congress needs to enforce the laws on deportation of all illegal immigrants including their children. There are consequences to breaking immigration laws.

Call U.S. Rep. Pete Visclosky and ask him to enforce the laws on deportation.

- Barry L. Emigh, Merrillville

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Do you support a 10-cent tax increase for Lan-Oak Park District?

View Results