Once again, our elected officials in Washington are looking into ways of cutting benefits for we the people in their feeble attempt to reduce the deficit without even considering cutting the perks that they get.
I wonder how much could be saved if Washington would:
- Cut at least half of their staffs of up to 18 people with a yearly salary cap of $900,000.
- Reduce their expense accounts from the maximums of $250,000 (House) and $500,000 (Senate).
- Reduce senators' hiring of three legislative assistants at a cost up to $500,000 yearly.
- Eliminate their individual yearly $40K office furniture allowance,
- Eliminate their 401(k) matching with our taxes.
- Eliminate all pensions for present and former elected officials since they are elected and not hired.
Seems to me that they have manipulated the Constitution into illegally creating prosperous career jobs for themselves instead of performing the public service they were and are meant to do!
- Mickey Radovich, Valparaiso