I bought useless property, which county will sell again

2013-03-20T00:00:00Z 2013-03-22T19:26:04Z I bought useless property, which county will sell again nwitimes.com
March 20, 2013 12:00 am

People going through hard times are being done wrong by Lake County yet again. I purchased a few properties, hoping to make a few extra bucks, a few years back.

After finding out they were no longer buildable, I decided to just let them go on the tax sale because they were pretty much worthless. I called the treasurer's office to see what would happen if I didn't pay the taxes, and Diane told me they would just go away and not to worry about it. So that's what I did.

Now a lawyer's office contacts me with a collection notice for the back taxes and penalties/lawyer's fees. Our government has to use outside attorney's to collect taxes? What do they do for themselves any more?

These lawyers charge penalties for people who already cannot afford their payments. The county then sells their property and the taxpayer is still stuck with the bill.

And until someone buys this worthless property on the tax sale, they will continue to rack up charges to me.

- Chuck Jewett, Cedar Lake

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results