If we get income tax, let us off hook for debt

2013-03-15T01:00:00Z If we get income tax, let us off hook for debt nwitimes.com
March 15, 2013 1:00 am

Indiana state Sen. Ed Charbonneau – and other reps outside of Lake County – have continually pushed for a Lake County income tax, crying that it is unfair we are the only county without one.

We are also only one of two counties (out of 92) to have “property tax cap plus debt.” Will Ed be taking that cause up next?

Look at your property tax bill (www.lakecountyin.gov - click on Treasurer, then Tax Search). You will see your property tax cap amount and just underneath it, your “Adjustment to Cap Due to Voter-Approved Projects And Charges." In Lake County and St. Joseph County, this line also reflects debt obligations incurred prior to the property tax caps. Only Lake and St. Joseph counties are allowed to do this.

If we are going to have to fall into line with the other counties with the income tax, we deserve to fall into line with the other counties in the removal of this debt from the property tax bill.

- Susan Zivich, Munster

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results