Indemnify those who must discuss mental health

2013-08-29T00:00:00Z Indemnify those who must discuss mental health
August 29, 2013 12:00 am

I marvel at the disingenuousness of Linda Lawson in her Aug. 21 school safety op-ed.

Yes, in almost every instance of school rampage, mental health has mainly been the issue. And the majority of those who commit mayhem have previously been identified as having mental issues. Nothing is done about it so as to prevent the "stigma" of being identified as being mentally ill and the fear of lawsuits, which could run into millions of dollars.

Lawson even hints at training teachers and staff in this area. Really? That is way beyond the ability of teachers and staff. 

But, no, there will be other instances of previously identified people with questioned mental health to sacrifice other lambs. We will wring our hands and moan, "Something has to be done!!"

She's in the Legislature. Man up! (Or woman up, in her case). Pass laws to indemnify those who would lay the "stigma" of mental issues on someone to prevent lawsuits from the likes of Linda and the ACLU.

- Carl Robinson, Chesterton

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should Lake County ask the attorney general's office to mediate in the E-911 consolidation dispute?

View Results