Indiana shouldn't outlaw investigative technique

2013-02-21T00:00:00Z Indiana shouldn't outlaw investigative technique
February 21, 2013 12:00 am

Have you heard of "pink slime" that was part of many school lunch programs, and perhaps part of your hamburger from the supermarket?

Under Senate Bill 373, it would be illegal for that to have been made known to you.

Europeans are shocked to discover their recent meat purchases may actually be horse meat. Under SB 373, if some of your meat is actually horse meat, you will be less likely to know it.

The Indiana Senate appears poised to pass a bill that will make it a crime to photograph or video unsafe food and other manufacturing practices, without the owners' permission! It would be a crime for a reporter to go undercover to report on conditions (without the owners' permission).

This bill sounds like something one might expect in a communist country like Russia or China. Americans are supposed to have freedom of speech and a free press. The Indiana House, if not the Senate, should kill SB 373.

- Ruth Ann McWhorter, Valparaiso

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should Indiana continue to fund the RDA?

View Results