Let Hoosiers vote on constitutional amendment

2014-02-21T00:00:00Z Let Hoosiers vote on constitutional amendment nwitimes.com
February 21, 2014 12:00 am

Let Hoosiers decide the marriage amendment, not activist judges!

Since 2013, nine states have been challenged who have current laws to protect marriage between one man and one woman.

In January 2014, President Brian Brown of National Organization for Marriage said this regarding Utah's challenge, "Activist judges now feel no qualms in simply putting forward their opinion as the law. The judges' actions are an affront to the rule of law and the sovereign rights of the people of Utah."

These present challenges to current laws prove that a law isn't enough. It is essential Indiana add this constitutional amendment, “Only a marriage between one man and one woman shall be valid or recognized as a marriage in Indiana. A legal status identical or substantially similar to that of marriage for unmarried individuals shall not be valid or recognized."

We deserve to vote on this issue.

- Walter Dougherty, Valparaiso

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should Indiana continue to fund the RDA?

View Results