Local option income tax is a good Hoosier idea

2013-04-15T00:00:00Z Local option income tax is a good Hoosier idea nwitimes.com
April 15, 2013 12:00 am

When the downstate Hoosiers decided to allow counties to add an income tax in 1974, it was not done to penalize Lake County. It was done because downstaters felt that it was better to have a diversified source of funding (part property tax and part income tax) for local government.

Property taxes are stable, but don't reflect someone's ability to pay. Income taxes go up and down with the economy and more accurately indicate who can afford to pay. This is particularly good for retirees who own property but have lower incomes.

Some counties have opted for a small income tax and other have large income tax that almost eliminates property taxes. 

What can't happen is having both a large property tax and a large income tax. The law specifically requires most of it go to property tax reductions.

I urge the County Council and Commissioners to approve the proposed tax. Let us move forward to a better future for Lake County.

- David Vinzant, Hobart 4th District Councilman

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should Lake County ask the attorney general's office to mediate in the E-911 consolidation dispute?

View Results