Munster residents, vote no on Tuesday's referendum for these reasons:
- The recent reassessment, raising home values, raises taxes next year.
- Annual $45 fee for Little Calumet River levee maintenance.
- Lake County is still considering the 1.5 percent county income tax for every wage-earner.
- A wheel tax is being considered for every vehicle in Indiana to pay for repair and maintenance of roads and highways.
- The cost of general living expenses has gone up for everyone.
We all have had to tighten our belts and learn to live within our budgets. It is time for the school town to do the same!
What might help Munster is to stop the double dipping with teachers/administrators retiring and then being rehired, drawing pensions and paychecks.
Why not hire younger teachers with new ideas and skills to take our students forward?
Lake Central School Corp. got their referendum and not too long ago all the administrators shared a $200,000 bonus.
- Lawrence R. Elish, Munster