Once you leave U.S., you leave U.S. protection

2013-12-22T00:00:00Z Once you leave U.S., you leave U.S. protection nwitimes.com
December 22, 2013 12:00 am

Naghmeh Abedini has been pleading for the U.S. government to intercede on behalf of her husband, Saeed Abedini, who has been imprisoned in Iran for attempting to undermine the Iranian government and endangering national security by establishing home churches.

Mrs. Abedini has decried the U.S. action in demanding her husband's release. This man committed a crime in a foreign country. Our government has no business demanding that Iran, or any country, release a person who has been tried and convicted under their laws simply because he is a U.S. citizen.

Americans need to understand that once you leave the United States, your protection as a citizen of this country does not afford you any privilege in other countries.

While this is certainly a tragic situation for his family, it is one of Mr. Abedini's own making and should not be resolved by our government.

- Kimberly Jones Cosman, Schererville

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for the U.S. House of Representatives in District 1?

View Results