Replacing a mangled license plate costs extra

2013-03-21T00:00:00Z Replacing a mangled license plate costs extra
March 21, 2013 12:00 am

A while back I wrote about the Indiana Bureau of Motor Vehicles charging $10 extra, without telling you, to renew your plates at the emissions testing facility. They tell you now about the charge.

But here is the latest BMV rip-off. If you need a new license plate because yours got smashed or lost), you now have to fill out a special form at the BMV and pay an additional $10 for the metal plate.

Many of us have to pull a trailer to haul equipment for work, and while on the site, or while unloading the machinery to simply cut your own grass, the plate can get bent or mutilated.

I am sure that most boat owners have smashed a plate while loading or unloading a boat.

Actual plates used to be issued every year. Now we get cheaper stickers, yet the price we pay for those stickers is a lot more than we used to pay for an actual plate.

Should we be required to pay more money for an actual license plate?

- Darren Clauss, Valparaiso

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for the U.S. House of Representatives in District 1?

View Results