Seniors deserve bigger break on property taxes

2013-08-06T00:00:00Z Seniors deserve bigger break on property taxes
August 06, 2013 12:00 am

Guess a senior has no constitutional rights in Cook County. When we tried to get a small reduction in our property taxes to pay some necessary medical bills at the Cook County assessor's office, we discovered they will not allow an appeal for a senior citizen, since they already provide a decent reduction for us.

They explained if we do appeal our personal property tax, the assessor's office would take the homeowner's, senior citizen and senior freeze exemptions, and we would have to start again, with a possible higher property tax next year.

Who made up this "no appeal rule" for hard-hit seniors with fixed incomes? They make it so complex to get an appeal that a person just gives up.

We appreciate the seniors exemptions, but a few hundred dollars saved in an appeal would mean the senior could live longer in his home. These seniors pay their property taxes that help the government employees with their pensions, county bills, etc. 

- Jerry Cole, Lansing

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results