Someone from state should examine Wanatah

2012-11-04T00:00:00Z Someone from state should examine Wanatah
November 04, 2012 12:00 am

I believe it’s time for a change, sometimes politicians take their job for granted. I have been in disagreement with Wanatah government. We have a big conflict of interest, and they don’t want to change.

We were told we couldn't flush our water lines because we didn't have enough water storage. Instead of expanding our storage, we put in a new state-of-the-art, automated, award winning pump house and wells, yet we still cannot flush our lines. Why?

We just recently upgraded our waste treatment plant and are in the process of installing new water lines in order for a contractor to put in a 200-home subdivision outside the town limits.

It is my opinion that not flushing water lines is putting our citizens in danger, especially those living on dead-end lines. We have several.

I have tried to talk to state Rep. Tom Dermody. Just to get a private meeting with him, I had to meet conditions. After the first 10-minute meeting, in public, he asked, “Do you feel better now.” I asked, “What do you mean?” He said, “Well, now that you talked to me." I said, “No, we didn't solve a thing." Maybe I would have felt better if I had kissed his ring.

I tried to contact state Sen. Ed Charbonneau and have yet to hear back from him.

I contacted IDEM and was disappointed with Jeff Guinn’s response. I believe someone from the state should examine Wanatah’s government.

- Leslie (Les) Young, Wanatah

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results