Times Columnist Rich James and friends say pull the trigger for Lake County income tax, it will only be 1 or 2 percent of your wages.
That's what the unions told all their members back in the 1970s. It's only 1 percent. Today check-off dues are 10 percent and rising. Once they get their foot in the door, they kick it wide open.
Here's something the county can do to increase revenues.
1. Sell the losers we own, starting with the county jail, to businesses that know how to run prisons and make a profit. That's what the federal government and other states are doing.
2. Sell the airport; it's a loser. Peotone has cash investors and has already broken ground.
3. Sell the buses. You can't make money driving around with empty buses or at most five to 10 people on them.
4. Cut Speros Batistatos' six-figure salary. He's paid way too much for the work he does.
- Mark Rafacz, Schererville