Tax everyone, even poor, plus reduce spending

2013-01-22T00:00:00Z 2013-01-22T11:45:03Z Tax everyone, even poor, plus reduce spending nwitimes.com
January 22, 2013 12:00 am

Even after the election, President Barack Obama continues campaigning on "tax fairness."

Is it fair that 47 percent of Americans pay no, nada, zilch in federal taxes? Is it fair that the other 53 percent are not only responsible for their own taxes but are required to subsidize many of the 47 percent who are gaming the system and could pay their own fair share but don't? Is it fair to single out our most successful Americans and tax their success at even a higher rate?

Obama needs to look up what "fair" really means -- especially to fair minded Americans.

Obama and Congress need to reform the tax code. How about a flat tax where even the poor must set aside $200 to $300 for federal taxes? Their voting habits might change if they had some skin in the game.

This administration's problem isn't enough taxes. It's their spending! Cut the spending! Reduce the crushing debt load.

And most important, did I mention: Cut the spending!

- Joan Marinello, Valparaiso

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"

Questions?

Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357

Poll

Loading…

Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results