I was pleased to see the April 24 article regarding tobacco’s lingering danger (thirdhand smoke). Many people are unaware that much more than the smell is left long after a smoker extinguishes a cigarette.
As the article pointed out, nicotine and toxins remain on surfaces for days and weeks, and can be absorbed, inhaled or even ingested.
We are learning tobacco smoke can be even deadlier than many had previously thought.
There are public health risks from exposure to thirdhand smoke in homes, apartments, hotel rooms, casinos, motor vehicles and other places where cigarette smoking occurs. Running fans or opening windows or doors does not eliminate the hazards.
The Indiana Tobacco Quitline (800) QUIT-NOW or www.QuitNowIndiana.com) is a free resource for those who would like to quit using tobacco products or nicotine delivery devices.
- Susan Gleason, coordinator, Tobacco Education & Prevention Coalition for Porter County