Clearly, the United States is facing some major problems.
- Our roads, bridges, sewers, and water lines are crumbling, some even dating from the 19th century.
- Our electrical grid is seriously outdated.
- Our educational system seemingly cannot produce graduates able to compete in math and science with students from other industrialized nations.
- Millions of our citizens, many of them children, are homeless and hungry.
- Our health care system lags far behind systems in other modern, industrialized nations, except in infant mortality rates, at which we excel.
- The top 1 percent of our wealthiest citizens possess more wealth than the bottom 90 percent.
- We spend more on our military than the next 13 ranked nations combined.
And this is just for starters.
Fortunately, the Republican Party has an amazingly simple, two-pronged solution to all of these and other complex problems we face: Cut spending (but not on the military) and lower taxes on corporations and the wealthy.
- John Feaster, Valparaiso