Use 'general welfare' clause to ban assault rifles

2013-01-06T00:00:00Z Use 'general welfare' clause to ban assault rifles
January 06, 2013 12:00 am

I want to thank Kim Ferraro for her letter regarding the Constitution. I looked at the preamble in a different way.

It states: “We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, insure the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, …”

It is the “insure the general Welfare” part that struck me in terms of the 2nd Amendment. The 2nd Amendment provides for the right to bear arms. However, if that right goes against the “insure the general welfare” part of the Constitution, then providing for the general welfare wins out.

Therefore, in order to protect its citizens, assault rifles and high capacity ammunition clips must be banned for all except for the military and police (protecting the people by providing for the common defense).

This is in keeping with the Constitution.

- Larry Gill, Munster

Copyright 2014 All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Should Lake County ask the attorney general's office to mediate in the E-911 consolidation dispute?

View Results