Now that we have gone over the fiscal cliff and scurried back to safety for a moment, please evaluate Congress' performance. Do members of Congress realize how ridiculous it is to do any of the following?
- To set up an artificial deadline to deal with taxes and spending and accomplish little in either category.
- To pretend you are working overtime during the holidays while you have accomplished little over the year.
- To not even try to pass a budget for years, much less stay within it.
- To ignore the basic concepts of sustainable finance.
Taxpayers are tired of borrowing 40 cents of each $1 spent.
This past year's members of Congress aren't solely to blame. However, it is their fault if they fail now to change course.
Quality of life for all and financial sustainability must be balanced and must be their goal. If those components are not balanced by Congress, we will have neither.
Congress has two months to choose a different direction.
- Roger S. Luekens, Valparaiso