Who's going to pay for foreign language interpreters?

2013-01-18T00:00:00Z Who's going to pay for foreign language interpreters? nwitimes.com
January 18, 2013 12:00 am

So state Sen. Frank Mrvan, D-Hammond, thinks Indiana should copy Illinois' stellar idea of allowing illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses? Wouldn't the word "illegal" be a hint they are breaking the law by being here?

By all means, let's reward them and give them a license to drive.

Who will pay for printing the test in a foreign language and providing interpreters for the driving portion in order to make this process easier for those who live here illegally and cannot speak English?

Let's go ask Illinois how they're paying for it; they seem to do such a good job with budgets and finance.

- Barbara Pearson, St. John

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results