Who will speak up for affected property owners?

2013-06-12T00:00:00Z Who will speak up for affected property owners? nwitimes.com
June 12, 2013 12:00 am

No one speaks for us B-3 people (B-3 being the proposed route of the Illiana). I was first blessed with the installation of power electric lines across my property and near my home.

After the expert condemnation lawyers and their land experts got done with me, a pittance was paid and for the past 43 years I have been forced to accept the inconvenience and ugliness of these power lines and towers.

Now Illiana wants to take more of my land to build its expressway parallel to the power lines. Again I expect expert lawyers and Realtors will testify as to how little my land is worth and how the din of day and night truck traffic has no monetary consequence.

Will Indiana pay for my lawyers and experts (as it does for many criminals)?

Why is this expressway needed? Could it not be built in less intrusive and less expensive areas -- such as by expanding Ind. 10?

We B-3 people can next look forward to the Peotone airport and jets flying low overhead.

- Bill Kowalski, Cedar Lake

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results