Why blame Obama over Keystone XL pipeline decision?

2013-02-13T01:00:00Z Why blame Obama over Keystone XL pipeline decision? nwitimes.com
February 13, 2013 1:00 am

A recent letter stated President Barack Obama was against drilling for oil out west and adding pipelines, costing our country good union jobs. That is just about as close as one can get from telling the truth.

The writer said Obama has banned drilling for this tar sand oil and it would cost our country good union jobs. Why blame Obama?

Pipelines would have to be installed, and the tar sand would have to be extracted with steam shovels, causing a mess. The tar sand oil is the same type oil being sent to BP's Whiting Refinery, creating jobs for union workers to upgrade the plant so gasoline and other by products can be extracted from tar sand oil with a lot of steam.

I would estimate more than 98 percent of the workers were; union and the other 2 percent management, non-union, but drawing better than union wages.

I haven't heard complaints from BP's management over the cost of upgrading the Whiting plant.

- John M. Bonich, retired steelworker, Crown Point

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"

Questions?

Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357

Poll

Loading…

Who do you support for Lake County assessor?

View Results