Military action against Syria to “punish” President Assad will fail because:
1. Assad will act quickly to publicize the harm bombing has done to the Syrian people to discredit the United States.
2. Bombing will irreversibly eliminate the chance for a humanitarian response to those tragically stricken.
3. Bombing Syria will permanently discredit the United States as the world will see it as “more of the same” from the self-appointed policeman of the Middle East.
4. Bombing Syria will raise questions of why we did not bomb North Korea. The world will see the United States as a bomber that picks its spots. Our credibility will suffer enormously.
It is time to stop the vicious mind-set of first response with military action. If the United States bombs Syria, it could become a marker in our nation’s history with consequences from which we — and the world — cannot recover.
- Mark Lindemer, Crown Point