WPA would be better than giving people handouts

2012-11-19T00:00:00Z WPA would be better than giving people handouts nwitimes.com
November 19, 2012 12:00 am

Evaluate the quickening decay of the American system and look at the whole picture. We are in deep trouble. Stop bickering and start fixing! The "1 percent" can't fix this. The freebies must stop. Work for the handout you are given.

The Works Progress Administration gave people jobs, building and improving our national parks, roads, etc. They earned what they received for a hard day's work. They had self-respect. This work didn't infringe upon the unions; these were government jobs.

Can you imagine how much good it could have done for this nation if this had been done instead of the bailouts!

Maybe we should build a pipeline to pump water (since oil pipelines were not approved) from flooded areas to drought-stricken areas. Start pumping water out of flooded areas before it destroys property and into reservoirs in the Midwest. That should fill some idle time of welfare recipients. Put this country back to work and let them feel the pride of accomplishment.

- Donna Steward, Lowell

Copyright 2014 nwitimes.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Follow The Times

Latest Local Offers

Top 5 Symptoms of Septic Tank Problems

5. Slow or sluggish flushing of toilets or drains including se…

Need an Estimate for Septic or Sewer Problems? Call Jack & Vernon's Septic Service Today!

Call Jack & Vernon's Septic Service today for your estimat…

Featured Businesses

Submit a Letter to Editor

We welcome letters from readers on any issue of public interest, and make every effort to publish as many as we can and in a timely manner. The Times will publish only one letter a month from a writer, and be sure to include your name, address and a telephone number for verification. Letters should be 150 words or less. They will be edited.

Letters may be submitted:
  • Via our submission form.
  • Via e-mail.
  • Via fax: (219) 933-3249 or (219) 465-7298
  • Via mail or by hand to our offices:
    • 601 45th Ave., Munster, IN 46321
    • 2080 N. Main St., Crown Point, IN 46307
    • 1111 Glendale Blvd., Valparaiso, IN 46383
    • 3410 Delta Dr., Portage, IN 46368
    • Please mark envelopes with "Attn: Letters"


Email Editorial Page Editor Doug Ross or call (219) 548-4360 or (219) 933-3357



Who do you support for Porter County commissioner?

View Results