Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Crown Point’s cancer treatment program has been accredited, with commendation, by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
The American College of Surgeons three-year accreditation followed on-site evaluation by a physician surveyor, during which the hospital demonstrated a commendation level of compliance with eight of eight standards that represent the full scope of the cancer program.
Burrell Cancer Institute
The institute is equipped with sophisticated medical equipment to treat a wide spectrum of cancers, as well as to monitor and manage pain. The cancer treatment program is accredited by the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
* Diagnostic center with modern medical technology to detect all types of cancer.
* Newly designed Radiation Oncology Center with state-of-the-art equipment providing minimally invasive treatment with pinpoint accuracy.
* A full range of treatment services including radiation therapy, lymphedema services, outpatient infusion therapy, chemotherapy, blood transfusion.
* The hospital is designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology.
* The Burrell Cancer Screening Clinic offers comprehensive cancer screening programs at a low cost. Screening is based upon American Cancer Society guidelines. Periodic free screenings are offered for prostate and skin cancer.
* Comprehensive outpatient and inpatient surgical services.
* An oncology unit, including a family room with kitchenette and other amenities for loved ones.
* Support services such as pain management, counseling and spiritual care.
Online Cancer Center provides in-depth information on the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and care of cancer patients – including health news; an extensive online library detailing types of cancer; care guides; and a check-up tool to help patients know when to schedule exams.
Breast Care Services
Franciscan St. Anthony Health is designated a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology. The designation is presented when a health care facility becomes accredited in mammography, breast ultrasound and breast biopsy. Evaluated areas include mammography, ultrasound, stereotactic biopsy, radiology, physicist capability, equipment, imaging and processes. Dedicated, long-tenured mammography, ultrasound and bone density technologists are led by an experienced, female breast radiologist.
The Breast Care Center, which opened in 2000, is located on the third level of the Burrell Cancer Institute on the hospital grounds at 1201 S. Main St.
* Full-field digital mammography
* Breast ultrasound and ultrasunded-guided biopsy
* Stereotactic Biopsy
* R2 Image Checker
* Breast MRI and MRI-Guided Biopsy
* Breast Cancer Support Group and Education Programs
Facilitated by a professional counselor who is a registered nurse with a master’s degree in social work, monthly programs are offered free of charge to women diagnosed with breast cancer, in a private setting. Call the Breast Care Center for times and dates.
* Breast Nurse Services
A specialized and experienced advance-practice breast nurse answers questions, gives guidance, and provide support to patients.
* Bone Mineral Density Testing
* Lymphedema services
A free lymphedema education program is offered quarterly. Call the Breast Care Center for times and dates.
* Massage Therapy Services
One-hour, full-body massages are offered at a reasonable cost. A prescription is required for patients who are undergoing chemotherapy. Call the Breast Care Center for more information.
* Look Good …Feel Better
The community-based program is a free American Cancer Society service that teaches female cancer patients beauty tips to look good and feel better while undergoing cancer treatment. Patients must be undergoing cancer treatment to qualify.
The Burrell Cancer Radiation Oncology Center offers patients the latest weapons in the fight against cancer, including the Trilogy Linear Accelerator, which underscores the center's commitment to providing state-of-the-art, minimally invasive treatment with pinpoint accuracy.
Radiation therapy services are led by Dr. Abdul Khan, the medical director, and supported by a team that includes a nurse, radiation therapists, a medical dosimetrist, and physicist.
* Varian Eclipse, a 3-Dimensional, computerized modeling for treatment planning
* Philips CT scanner with 3-D capabilities that allow for greater precision and accuracy in treatment planning
* Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy customizes radiation doses to the tumor and spares normal tissue. It is the most advanced and precise method of external beam radiation. By varying the radiation dose, it is possible to achieve three-dimensional detail that matches the shape, size and location of the tumor. This causes less damage to normal tissue and reduces the side effects of radiation.
* Stereotactic body radiation therapy and stereotactic radiation surgery
*Vision RT, a video-based, 3-D surface imaging system to verify patient positioning for stereotactic body radiation therapy and stereotactic radiation surgery
* Low-dose-rate Brachytherapy (prostate seed implants)
Trilogy Linear Accelerator
The Trilogy Linear Accelerator underscores the center's commitment to providing state-of-the-art, minimally invasive treatment with pinpoint accuracy. The Trilogy's Rapid Arc technology delivers uncompromised treatment in two minutes or less.
The center also offers an Outpatient Infusion Clinic.
For more info:
Burrell Cancer Institute
Breast Care Center
(219) 757-6010; 757-6250 (appointment)
Radiation Oncology Center
Outpatient Infusion Clinic
Lymphedema Services; Massage Therapy
(219) 757-6485; (219) 757-6059