The hospital is a recipient of the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Outstanding Achievement Award for Excellence in Cancer Care.
Cancer Resource Centers, available at both the main hospital campus, 301 W. Homer St., and at the newly opened Woodland Cancer Care Center, 8955 W. 400 North, are available to cancer survivors, caregivers, hospital staff, and the community. Rammi Fox-Kay, the oncology liaison/navigator, is available to answer questions, provide educational materials and support for those who have cancer or have cancer-related questions.
In addition, the hospital and center share six oncology-certified nurses and two advanced oncology-certified nurses. Certifications are granted by the Oncology Nursing Certification Corp. and renewed every four years by a combination of specialty practice hours, professional development activities or retesting. The hospital and center also offer periodic screenings for colorectal cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer and skin cancer, as well as free mammogram screenings for the uninsured.
A Look Good…Feel Better program is a community- based, free American Cancer Society service that teaches female cancer patients beauty tips to look good and feel better while undergoing cancer treatment.
Services specific to the hospital or to Woodland, include:
* Radiation Therapy
* Clinical Research Trials
* Oncology Nurse Navigator
* Support Groups
* Educational Programs
* Medical oncology and infusion center
* Social worker
* Spiritual care representative •
Woodland’s radiation therapy services are led by Dr. Sea Chen, the medical director, and supported by a team of nurses, radiation therapists, and medical physicists.
* Varian Eclipse, a 3-Dimensional computerized modeling for treatment planning
* GE Optima 16-slice PET/CT scanner with 4-D capabilities that allows for greater precision and accuracy in treatment planning
* Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy customizes radiation doses to the tumor and spares normal tissue. It is the most advanced and precise method of external beam radiation. By varying the radiation dose, it is possible to achieve three-dimensional detail that matches the shape, size and location of the tumor. This causes less damage to normal tissue and reduces the side effects of radiation.
* Stereotactic body radiation therapy and stereotactic radiation surgery
* Brain Lab, a real-time vision system to verify patient positioning for stereotactic body radiation therapy and stereotactic radiation surgery
* Low-dose-rate Brachytherapy (prostate seed Implants)
* High-dose-rate Brachytherapy (coming soon)
Trilogy Linear Accelerator
The Trilogy Linear Accelerator underscores the center's commitment to providing state-of-the-art, minimally invasive treatment with pinpoint accuracy. The Trilogy's RapidArc technology delivers uncompromised treatment in two minutes or less.
Trilogy’s Clinical Benefits
* Allows for higher dose rates in shorter sessions
* Faster treatment times
* Tight alignments that target the smallest of lesions
* On-board imaging, including Cone Beam CT, allows for accurate verification of the treatment site. Utilizing both of these imaging advances, patient setups are fine-tuned with ultra-precision
* Ability to reposition patients quickly, accurately and remotely
Cancer Support Group
A support group for women meets the fourth Thursday of each month from March through October. Educational topics and speakers are featured at the start of the program.
Services offered at the main campus of Franciscan St. Anthony Health-Michigan City include:
* Inpatient oncology
* Cancer registry
* Palliative care
Center for Breast Health
* Mammography, ultrasound and ultrasound-guided breast biopsy services are accredited by the American College of Radiology. They include:
* Digital mammography allows for superior imaging and manipulation of the breast, digital mammography allows radiologists to magnify digital images as well as increase or decrease contrast to get a better view of breast abnormalities.
* ImageChecker offers a sophisticated look at mammograms that increases the breast cancer detection rates by 15 percent.
* Stereotactic breast biopsy
* Breast MRI and MRI-guided biopsy
* Bone mineral density testing
* Mammography After Hours (educational program, with evening appointments available)
Franciscan St. Anthony Health (main line)
Woodland Cancer Care Center
Center for Breast Health
Cancer Research Nurse
Spiritual Care Services
Mammography After Hours