Rust Belt Resurgence
The Times Media Co. is leading a multi-year revitalization initiative -- targeting the city of Gary in Northwest Indiana -- to bring together community leaders, regional stakeholders, national experts, and state and federal representatives to develop an investment strategy for economic recovery. The effort was launched in 2010 as part of the Gary and Region Investment Project, which has tapped the Chicago-based Metropolitan Planning Council as a partner. Reporter Bowdeya Tweh and Times staffers are visiting cities in the Midwest and on the East Coast to identify and share best practices in community revitalization and economic development and show people in the region what life is like in these places.
CAMDEN, N.J. | Jan. 18, 2011. John Williamson said he can point to that day as a one of several reasons why the Camden, N.J. is continuing to …
DULUTH, Minn. | While people may continue to fall in love with its pretty shoreline, Mayor Don Ness believes jobs are going to keep Duluth afl…
DULUTH, Minn. | If you can't run from the cold, then at least make it an economic opportunity.
DULUTH, Minn. | Minerals and metallurgical engineer Don Fosnacht said having an "ungodly vast" array of natural resources is a good situation.
Nadeem Sarwar, 24, is a drug addict who spends much of his time on the streets of Camden, N.J., feeding his…
Dominic Petulla owns and runs Gold Star Shoe Repair and Hat Cleaning in Camden, N.J. He star…
Jose "Bolo" Gonzalez turned his north Camden, N.J. living room in into a gym and keeps his …
The city of Duluth, Minn. has successfully merged industry with recreation and tourism.
Times staff writer Bowdeya Tweh and photographer Tim Hunt visit Youngstown, Ohio to see what…
Gary and Region Investment Project
These stories about Camden, N.J., are the fourth part of an occasional series analyzing conditions in Rust Belt cities and urban revitalization efforts. Visit http://www.nwi.com/camden to view a photo gallery, videos and additional content ga…
Follow The Times
Stop in and visit Lightning Fireworks today!
Call 219 934 0750 for Details.
Stop by Kensington Watch Services today at 146 North Main Stre…
1/2 price tickets to WHAT A GLORIOUS FEELING (behind-the-scenes during the making of SINGIN' IN THE RAIN) 5/24 & 5/25.
Buy 9 sandwich combos and get the 10th free.
- 1 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 2 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 3 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 4 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
- 5 Feds: Van Til indicted for using public employees, resources for campaign work
In Today's Paper
Do you cooperate with colleagues across the state line when working on a major regional project?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm