Iron mining and production, shipping and heavy manufacturing, helped define Duluth's economic prowess for decades as the "Zenith City" helped generate wealth in northeast Minnesota. With reductions in employment in those fields over the last 40 years, the city had to, and is still, figuring out how to return the area to vibrance. Duluthians say you have to get past the cold to understand the soul of the community. But weather aside, the hilly landscape, four seasons, and natural resources are helping make the city a tourist destination. The city lost less than 1 percent of its population over the last decade, according to 2010 Census figures. But talk to area residents and city officials, more progress has to be made to get the city on Lake Superior's shoreline to grow.
DULUTH, Minn. | While people may continue to fall in love with its pretty shoreline, Mayor Don Ness believes jobs are going to keep Duluth afl…
DULUTH, Minn. | If you can't run from the cold, then at least make it an economic opportunity.
DULUTH, Minn. | Minerals and metallurgical engineer Don Fosnacht said having an "ungodly vast" array of natural resources is a good situation.
View photos of Duluth, Minn. by Times photographer John Luke.
Follow The Times
We have been boarding our 2 dogs at Dutch Pet …
Have recent storms left your home looking like this??? Give S.…
at Brad's Designs and Jewelry! 219-663-5801.
We are a licensed, bonded, and insured business that provides …
Stop in today. 219-865-2300.
- 1 Roof blows off LOFS house, vehicles overturn during storm
- 2 Residents, officials surveying damage in wake of Wednesday night storms
- 3 Paula Cooper: Convicted of murder at 15, a Gary woman prepares for her 2013 release
- 4 Gary woman sentenced to die at 16 to be released from prison
- 5 Woman fatally stabbed in C.P. domestic dispute
Should Lake County have continued to pursue the trash-to-ethanol proposal?
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2011-12 Edition)June 17, 2013 5:06 pm
- LIVE: RailCats vs. Quebec, waiting out the rainJune 12, 2013 8:52 pm
- LIVE: RailCats hope to keep winning ways vs. QuebecJune 11, 2013 5:00 pm
- Valparaiso Basketball What If... (2012-13 edition)June 10, 2013 10:30 am