Before being the birthplace of General Motors, Flint was driven by a lumber based economy in the 1800s before transitioning to become a carriage-making hub. Flint was home to more than 30 carriage and wagon factories between the 1850s to 1900 and by the turn of the century, it was producing more than 100,000 carriages and wagons a year, according to exhibits at the Alfred P. Sloan Museum.
The automotive industry helped define the modern day "Vehicle City," but the city has suffered significant population loss as people moved further away from urban centers, manufacturing employment fell and poverty and crime increased. The city now is attempting to leverage its manufacturing heritage and support new industries while trying to build up communities.
View photos of Flint, Mich. by Tim Hunt.
FLINT, Mich. | Lorene Randall could have left the city years ago. Randall retired from Delphi Corp. after working 34 years for it and its pred…
FLINT, Mich. | "Patient capital."
FLINT, Mich. | States should consider broadening their economic development agendas beyond exploring tax cuts for businesses, a Michigan-based…
Follow The Times
Call today and mention offer nwiservice. St. John’s Plumbing i…
For a confidential consultation, contact me or call my office …
Contact Russell Tree Care today at 219-863-9953. Our specialty…
For nearly 60 years, Feikema Plumbing & Sanitation has bee…
Summer Camp 2013 information may be picked up at the Academy n…
- 1 Police seek public's help identifying person who dumped puppies
- 2 Police investigating shooting outside North Hammond Walmart
- 3 Dyer man dies following construction accident at Northwestern University
- 4 Woman enters guilty plea on child molestation, exploitation charges
- 5 Lowell man, 86, dies after accidentally setting himself on fire
Should the county surveyor be elected or appointed?
- FIRST PITCH: Opening day, Michelle FieldsMay 16, 2013 7:30 pm
- LIVE: RailCats season opener vs. Lincoln SaltdogsMay 16, 2013 4:30 pm
- Early look at 2013-14 Valparaiso Men's Basketball teamMay 16, 2013 3:52 pm
- Moussa Gueye and Mohamed KoneMay 15, 2013 10:35 pm