* Choose 1 slice (1/8 pie) Pumpkin pie 335 calories, 15 grams fat instead of 1 slice Pecan Pie 450 calories, 21 grams fat
* Choose 3 oz. white meat (no skin) 120 calories, 3 grams fat
Instead of 3 oz. dark meat turkey – 206 calories, 8 grams fat
* Choose a 5 ounce glass of red wine at 125 calories instead of a glass of egg nog at 350 calories, 16 grams of fat.
* Choose 12 large cocktail shrimp 165 calories, 1 gram fat instead of 1 crab cake 290 calories, 19 grams of fat.
* Choose 1 cup mashed potatoes at 250 calories instead of 1 cup candied sweet potatoes 400 calories.
To reduce fat and calories while cooking:
* Use 2 egg whites in place of one egg.
* Use low-sodium, fat free chicken broth in mashed potatoes to add flavor instead of butter or margarine.
* Substitute applesauce for oil or butter in muffins and quick breads.
* Use non-fat yogurt for dips.
* Use sliced almonds as a crunchy topping instead of fried onion rings.
- from Eat this not that by David Zinczenko