While weight loss surgery produces a new lease on life, one of the negative after-effects tends to be excessive loose neck and facial skin that gives the person an older, more tired look, says Sreek Cherukuri, M.D., a top board-certified facial plastic surgeon and Northwest Indiana’s leader in minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures of the face and neck.
That occurs because the skin and connective tissues in the face and neck stretch over time to accommodate layers of fat as they accumulate, he explains.
“Weight loss surgery makes people feel better and healthier, but they tend to look older. Losing the fat that was underneath the skin leaves the person with jowls as well as loose neck and facial skin,” he says. “Laugh lines and frown lines are more pronounced.”
The Weekend Lift provides a solution that returns the client’s face and neck to a more youthful, naturally-toned look and feel without more major surgery.
Introduced to the area in 2003 by Dr. Cherukuri, the Weekend Lift is mini-facelift that is an excellent alternative to a full facelift. It provides an overall lift to the neck and lower third of the face, whether clients have had weight loss surgery or would like to “freshen” their looks, he says.
“It focuses primarily on trouble spots such as the neck, jowls, mid-face and the lines around the nose and mouth. It is called the Weekend Lift because that is the approximate duration for post-operative recovery,” says Dr. Cherukuri, who performs this and other minimally-invasive cosmetic procedures at Carepointe Facial Plastic Surgery, 801 MacArthur Blvd., Suite 302 in Munster.
There are major advantages to the Weekend Lift compared with traditional full facelift surgery, he says.
• The procedure is performed with local anesthetic rather than under general anesthetic.
• It takes about one hour instead of the usual two to six hours for a traditional facelift.
• There are no major risks and minimal incisions. Incisions start at the hairline and go around the ears. There are no drains or big face bandages and no risk of nerve damage.
• Unlike a full facelift, the Weekend Lift has minimal bruising or swelling.
• Downtime from work or other activities is one to three days, instead of a month or more with traditional facelifts.
• The cost is about one-third of a full facelift.
The natural results of the Weekend Lift also make it a popular alternative to the “wind tunnel” look many celebrities such as Joan Rivers, Bruce Jenner and Kenny Rogers have from major facelifts, he says.
“One of my goals in facial plastic surgery is to produce results that appear as if the person were born with it”, explains Dr. Cherukuri. “In other words, people should not be able to tell if any cosmetic surgery has been performed because the results look so natural.”
For more information, call (219) 836-2201 or visit theweekendlift.com.