We were at the Indiana State Fair this week. An annual tradition for us, I'm still astounded at how much there is to see and do at the State Fair beyond the animal barns and rides. One of our favorite stops is the Taste of Indiana exhibit. There are two reasons we like this exhibit:
- FREE FOOD: the whole focus of the exhibit is to hand out samples of food made from products grown & raised in our state. You wander around and eat small snacks at approx 15 tables.
- Learning: It really opens the eyes of my kids (and sometimes their mother) to realize how many things are grown and raised in Indiana. I had no idea mint farming was even an industry here - but it is. This exhibit is full of little learning moments in between trying barbecue duck, beef sausage and tomato juice.
This year there was a booth from watermelon farmers (mmmmm.... fresh watermelon) and the Watermelon Queen (yes, really)
was handing out free recipe cards. I haven't tried these yet but I'm excited to and I thought I'd share my State Fair find with all of you. Two tasty watermelon recipes:
Watermelon Mediterranean Salad
- 6 cups mixed salad greens
- 3 cups cubed, seeded watermelon
- 1 small sliced red onion
- 1 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
- dash of black pepper
In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except oil & pepper. Toss with oil and pepper just before serving.
Watermelon Fire & Ice Salsa
- 3 cups chopped, seeded watermelon
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 1 diced jalapeno pepper
- 2 TB lime juice
- 1 TB diced cilantro
- 1 TB diced green onion
Combine ingredients, mix well and refrigerate until serving. (Recommend refrigerating at least one hour.) Serve with chips or as a garnish for grilled chicken or fish.
Barb lives in Crown Point with a hungry family that includes three kids. You can find her out running, playing on the shores of her favorite Lake Michigan, on Twitter and writing her daily blog, Quick Like A Bunny where you never know what she'll be talking about.